vmug  discussion board
vmug
   FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in  | Register
  What would you like to learn from the SIG?  Page 1 of 1 
 The time now is Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:31 am  View previous topicView next topicReply to topic  
 Discussion Forum Index >  Filemaker SIG >  What would you like to learn from the SIG?
  Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:42 am     Post subject: What would you like to learn from the SIG?  Reply with quote 
 judymorse
Board member
Board member

Once the SIG gets started, what would you like to learn? What version do you use?

I've been using FileMaker since version 1, and I'd like to use more of FileMaker's relational capabilities to re-work some of the older databases I created and still use. I now have version 8.5.

Judy Morse  

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Addressto topto bottom
  Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:12 am     Post subject:  Reply with quote 
 rrucker
User

Though I have played with FM since version 3.0, I've not had the motivation to spend the time required to do anything beyond the trivial with it.

Among other things, I'd like to learn more about using multiple tables in a single file and importing XML-formatted data.

Perhaps meeting occasionally with like-minded FMP users will help me to get moving.

The version I currently own is FMP 8.5 Advanced.

Dick Rucker
City of Fairfax, VA  

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteto topto bottom
  Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:19 pm     Post subject: Learning  Reply with quote 
 RayNovitske
Webmaster
Webmaster

I would like to learn how to make stand alone applications. I would also like to learn more advanced scripting functions.    
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Addressto topto bottom
  Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:21 pm     Post subject: FMP version  Reply with quote 
 Lobby
User

I'd definitely like to limit the topic to FMP and perhaps to one version.

Training in the past at the intermediate level was very helpful, but since the jump, much learned has to be re-learned.

While I have great success utilizing tables to include very different information sharing the same topic. I need to learn better management of the total files.

[EXAMPLE: one table takes in VMUG members and shows vital info as well as the latest dues dates. Another table handles all the actual money transactions while reporting the member's name and any other requested information on the same screen if I set it up to do so.]

As long as I do not delete a Member's file from the first table, the information is available in both Tables. Were I to delete a member, say because member didn't pay dues, the information about that member's dues transactions would remain in the other table, but no longer evidence a name or the other details that I wanted shown. This makes sense and is no problem since the longterm financial record is there.
But I need more suggestions on how to segregate parts of one Table. How do I get an unneeded record from the first table out of the way of monthly activity without losing the detail for the money table?]  

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:01 am     Post subject: Training May 9 Tysons Corner  Reply with quote 
 Lobby
User

FYI
http://www.cornetser.com/training/FMServer_Training.aspx
This training is explained on the site. Costs involved.
Marjie  

Jump to: